Monday, February 11, 2013

Review Punishment by reward by Alfie Kohn



                                                            Punishment by reward
Just finished professor Alfie Kohn Article about Punishment by rewards.I am a person who believes motivation comes with an appreciation. Appreciating what other party do is the greatest way to higher achievement. When I think about punishment ,it modifies through decades and now it's time to end completely. A decade ago overall punishing was more harsh ,such as executing, punish civilians and domestic punishments. It's slowly changing during past decades such as my parents' time had more physical punishment , a decision made by parents etc. When I was a kid more verbal punishment and less physical punishment. Today more rewarding and no verbal or physical punishments at all. Most parents used to do Logical consequences.  I do agree some of professor's ideas also perplex and self arguing for another. What I understood? And does it really work for all the kids and parents? And how the journey /his opinion begins.
"Rewards are most damaging to interest when the task is already intrinsically motivating. That may be simply because there is that much more interest to lose when extrinsics are introduced; if you're doing something boring, your interest level may already be at rock bottom."
I agree with him, If the environment is motivating nobody else want to double motivate them , but someone can motivate with given environment and someones choice may be different. Also if kids are happy and satisfied we do not want to punish or give rewards. Punishment will come with were a child and the adult is not content. At the school and workplace the authority can support them to engage with the environment instead of giving bribes of A', Food or object. I agree as he state here some rewarding programs are definitely discouraging other children. When I was a child I never became forward than the others so I always lose. I came to one point  I have no luck to win. I gave up many opportunities instead of  trying, But when I was older I realized what is the life is and keep tried and win. These reward systems are harmful to kids since every parent wants their child to be a hero in the school. Since I had a hard time winning my mind build to push my children to win and learn more what they want to know. Also label begins such as "this child is bright, She is a failure".These label for sure effect to all the grades and other activities. Even after school it follows us. Therefore rewards for motivating is not really work well but advises and support for sure to help the child to motivate.
"What kids deserve is an engaging curriculum and a caring atmosphere so they can act on their natural desire to find out about stuff. No kid deserves to be manipulated with extrinsics so as to comply with what others want."
Yes exactly kids need engaging curriculum and supportive environment. But need to have skillful teachers to do so. Do we have skillful teachers, and how do we evaluate their backgrounds. Even state required certain credit units, there are high quality and low quality teaching institutes who feed different level of skilled teachers. We all raised with rules and regulations, the engaging environment he is talking about  having rules and regulations? If so children are content. Some reward  giving negative impact and why not appreciate a child who behave well in class. During my childhood, get on with bright kids definitely help me to successful with my exams. "You can't motivate another person, so framing the issue that way virtually guarantees the use of controlling devices." How can I be agreeing on this..If we can't motivate a person why we have the word motivation. The motivation comes with the situation of the person. Such as a worker who is under economic hardship will definitely motivate with salary increment. I believe we can motivate a child with many ways, Supporting them, encourage, appreciate. I agree with him about giving rewards to motivate a child but motivation is an important thing and everyone can motivate. Therefore his ideas fighting inside me and I am trying to see this positive article.
Rewads doesn't work at all the time. As a parent I never used rewards to discipline kids but explain cause and effect. Because I thought if I gave rewards one day , they will expect it every day. But I always appreciate their academic work with a star. She is definitely becoming happy and motivate to do another page. How I can prepare a curriculum with 3Cs.This is the only question I have in my mind. Can all parents support their children with their busy work schedule. But that is what children need, support and love. I know personally some parent have not time to give a wash to their child. How to start, educating parents and teachers. We all behave through spanking ,rewarding and motivating. Can parent and teachers change their family style.
Ultimately I would think rewarding is somewhat giving bribe to a child to become my way. I agree with him on that. But appreciating a person in a class,motivating a child with loving word is not a bribe. This article changed my attitude about how to behave children and definitely something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment